Q: What if my actual educational costs exceed the estimated expenses?

A: If a student believes the Cost of Attendance (COA) used in determining their financial aid was insufficient, they may request a review to increase their COA (and aid eligibility) with a Budget Review Request form found on the Forms page. Due to funding limitations, budget increases are typically funded with additional loan eligibility

Q: What if extraordinary circumstances have reduced my ability to pay for college?

A: If a student or their parent(s), if applicable, have been adversely affected by extraordinary circumstances that have reduced their ability to pay for college expenses, the financial aid office can review those circumstances in order to recalculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). This could potentially increase eligibility for need-based aid subject to the availability of funding. Please access our Special Circumstances Form found on the Forms page to report those changes.


Q: Should I complete a  FAFSA or TASFA?

A: The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by institutions of higher education in the state of Texas. Students that are classified as a Texas Resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are encouraged to complete the TASFA.

Q: What is financial need?

A: Financial need is determined by a simple formula:

Student’s Cost of Attendance (COA) - Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need

Financial need is used to determine what financial aid programs you are eligible to receive. Need based financial aid programs include grants, work study and subsidized loans.  

Q: What is a Student Aid Report?

A: Your Student Aid Report (SAR) is a document that summarizes the information you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


Awards and Disbursement

Q: How do I review and accept my award?

A: The Financial Aid office will notify you via email that your awards are available online in your self-service portal under “My Awards.” You may accept, reduce or decline any award online. You must then go to your Award Letter under Financial Aid, review it and accept the terms in order for any accepted aid to be disbursed.

Q: When will my financial aid disburse/transmit?

A: For the Fall and Spring semesters, financial aid funds, including student loans, will disburse on the 1st day of classes for that semester. For the Summer, financial aid funds, including student loans, will disburse on the 1st day of classes for the session that the student has established at least half-time enrollment in degree applicable hours.

Q: If I’m waiting on financial aid disbursement, how can I keep my classes from being dropped?

A: Set up a payment plan through the Bursar’s Office.

Q: If I have not received my financial disbursement, how can I order books?

A. Access the Bursar’s Office website for a FAQ on Using Financial Aid for Books.

Q: If I’ve already rejected my award, what can I do if I change my mind?

A: Send an email to finaid@www.melvinmacias.com

Q: What is the difference between a disbursement/transmittal and a financial aid refund?

A: A disbursement/transmittal is when your financial aid is transferred to the Bursar’s Office to apply toward your outstanding charges. A financial aid refund is any aid that exceeds your outstanding charges and is released to you through BankMobile.

Q: When will I receive my refund?

A: Please refer to the Bursar's Office for details about refund schedules.

Q. How many hours do I need to be enrolled in to receive my financial aid?

A. Most financial aid programs, including grants and student loans, require you to enroll in and maintain a minimum of half-time enrollment in degree applicable credit hours. Access additional information about eligibility and enrollment requirements.


Q: I received X grant last year, but not this year, why?

A: Your grant eligibility can change from year to year based on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), enrollment status, or available funding. Lifetime limits on some programs may also impact grant eligibility. 

Q: Why did my Pell Grant amount change?

A: Your Pell Grant amount can change based on any change you made to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), enrollment status or attendance. Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) may also impact your Pell Grant amounts. 

Q: Can I get more grant money?

A: You are considered for your maximum grant eligibility at the time you are awarded. If additional funds are available, you will automatically be considered.



Q: What is the difference between direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

A: In short, direct subsidized loans have slightly better terms to help out students with financial need. Direct unsubsidized loans do not require applicants to demonstrate financial need.

Q: What is an origination fee?

A: An origination fee is used by the federal government to offset the administrative costs of the loan.  Origination fees are charged as the loan is disbursed.

Q: What is the interest rate on my student loans?

A: The interest rates for federal student loans can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

Q: How do my parents apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan?

A: For undergraduate students only, you and your parents must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) first and then the parent borrower must log onto StudentAid.gov to submit the Direct Parent PLUS Request.

Q: What if my parent(s) is/are not eligible for the Federal Direct PLUS loan?

A: The Department of Education will run a credit history check to determine eligibility for a Federal Direct PLUS loan. The department will provide information to parents about other options (i.e. pursue a co-signor/endorser or appeal the decision) if there is adverse credit history. If denied, the student may be eligible to receive additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans.




Q: I have a privately funded scholarship (not from TWU), where do I send my scholarship check?

A: Any external scholarship funds should be mailed to the Bursar’s Office.  Please make sure your name, TWU 7 digit student ID number and semesters to which the scholarship should be applied are provided on or with the check.

Texas Woman’s University
Bursar’s Office
304 Administration Drive
Denton, TX 76204-5439



Q: How do I find my tax transcript?

A: Go to the IRS website, select “Get your Tax Record,” then “Request Online.” Once successfully validated, you should have immediate access to view, download and print transcripts or verification of non-filing letter.

Page last updated 4:42 PM, May 30, 2023